Joyce Balls-Berry, PhD
Joyce (Joy) Balls-Berry, PhD, is an associate professor of neurology at Washington University School of Medicine and core leader for the newly established Health Disparities and Equity Core in the Knight ADRC (Center Director John Morris, MD). Prior to joining Washington University School of Medicine, Balls-Berry was an assistant professor of epidemiology and senior associate consultant at Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science. She completed her formal education at Xavier University of Louisiana with graduate training at Washington University School of Medicine and The University of Toledo. Balls-Berry completed a post-doctoral research fellowship in health equity, epidemiology and biostatistics at the University of Florida.
Her work as a scientist centers on increasing awareness of the importance of community-patient engagement in research to increase health equity in minority and under-resourced communities. Recently, she completed a PCORI project to expand the efforts of the Minority Women in Research Network, which she established in 2011. The network’s mission is to promote community-patient engagement in research conducted by minority women scientists interested in research collaborations, academic scholarship, innovation and dissemination. As an educator, Balls-Berry received the Mayo Clinic Teacher of Year for the Graduate School and Educator of the Year for the Center for Clinical and Translational Science awards. The faculty and the student body vote on these awards. Recently, she shared her story of living with dyslexia and handling personal challenges as TEDx Talk.
Joyce Balls-Berry, PhD
Associate Professor of Neurology
- Comparison of Demographic and Clinical Features of Bipolar Disorder in Persons of African and European AncestryComparison of Demographic and Clinical Features of Bipolar Disorder in Persons of African and European AncestryTaylor-Desir, M. J., Balls-Berry, J. E., McElroy, S. L., Bond, D. J., Vallender, E. J., Ladner, M., Coombes, B. J., Jackson, L., Arceo, D., Caples, F. V., Colby, C., Patten, C. A., Biernacka, J. M. & Frye, M. A., Feb 2023, In: Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities. 10, 1, p. 367-372 6 p.Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
- Racial differences in longitudinal Alzheimer's disease biomarkers among cognitively normal adultsXiong, C., Luo, J., Schindler, S. E., Fagan, A. M., Benzinger, T., Hassenstab, J., Balls-Berry, J. E., Agboola, F., Grant, E., Moulder, K. L. & Morris, J. C., Dec 2022, In: Alzheimer's and Dementia. 18, 12, p. 2570-2581 12 p.Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
- High prevalence of chronic viral hepatitis B and C in Minnesota Somalis contributes to rising hepatocellular carcinoma incidenceHigh prevalence of chronic viral hepatitis B and C in Minnesota Somalis contributes to rising hepatocellular carcinoma incidenceMohamed, E. A., Giama, N. H., Abdalla, A. O., Shaleh, H. M., Oseini, A. M., Ali, H. A., Ahmed, F., Taha, W., Mohammed, H. A., Cvinar, J., Waaeys, I. A., Ali, H., Allotey, L. K., Ali, A. O., Mohamed, S. A., Harmsen, W. S., Ahmmad, E. M., Bajwa, N. A., Afgarshe, M. D., Shire, A. M., & 2 othersBalls-Berry, J. E. & Roberts, L. R., Sep 21 2022, In: World Journal of Gastroenterology. 28, 35, p. 5127-5229 103 p.Research output: Contribution to journal […]
- Perceptions of Ethnoracial Factors in the Management and Treatment of Uterine FibroidsOrellana, M., Riggan, K. A., DSouza, K., Stewart, E. A., Venable, S., Balls-Berry, J. E. & Allyse, M. A., Aug 2022, In: Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities. 9, 4, p. 1184-1191 8 p.Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
- Effect of Race on Prediction of Brain Amyloidosis by Plasma Aβ42/Aβ40, Phosphorylated Tau, and Neurofilament LightEffect of Race on Prediction of Brain Amyloidosis by Plasma Aβ42/Aβ40, Phosphorylated Tau, and Neurofilament LightSchindler, S. E., Karikari, T. K., Ashton, N. J., Henson, R. L., Yarasheski, K. E., West, T., Meyer, M. R., Kirmess, K. M., Li, Y., Saef, B., Moulder, K. L., Bradford, D., Fagan, A. M., Gordon, B. A., Benzinger, T. L. S., Balls-Berry, J., Bateman, R. J., Xiong, C., Zetterberg, H., Blennow, K., & 1 othersMorris, J. C., Jul 19 2022, In: Neurology. 99, 3, p. E245-E257Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review