Principles for Evaluation of Performance on the Neurology Clerkship:
School Evaluation Form is used to assess Competency-Based Learning Objectives
- Medical Knowledge
- Patient Care
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills
- Professionalism Practice-Based Learning and Improvement
Group Grading Session is held twice per month to compile Evaluations
- Allows assessment gaps to be filled if you worked with multiple people
- If you demonstrated a level of achievement with someone other than your resident or attending, this is taken into consideration
- Individual evaluations are adjusted into a composite based upon everyone’s interactions and observations
Professional Growth and Response to Feedback is Considered
- Understand that clinical abilities will vary between first half and second half
- Goal is to improve on a weekly basis
Past Grading Distribution
- Neurology is not graded on a curve
- Past grading distributions are not necessarily indicative of future distributions
TABLE 1. NBME Point Scale Score Translations
|80-81||44-54%||3.0||Meets Expectations||National average is 80|
|89+||90+%||5.0||Greatly Exceeds Expectations|
TABLE 2. Composition for Final Summative Letter Grade
|Translating Points into Transcript Grade||Honors: 4.50 – 5.00|
High Pass: 3.50 – 4.49
Pass: 2.75 – 3.49
Incomplete: 2.00 – 2.74
Fail: 1.00 — 2.00
|1st Half Clinical Evaluations||30%|
|2nd Half Clinical Evaluations||50%|
|Professionalism concern||Negates chance for Honors|
|Absolute minimum shelf grade for Pass||10th %tile|
|Possible sources of information the Clerkship Director can use to elevate a borderline grade.||1) Strong and meaningful participation in conference.|
2) OSCE score of 90+%.
3) Report of outstanding participation in clinics.
Policy Regarding Grade Changes
- All questions and clarifications regarding your evaluations must be directed to the Clerkship Director.
- We strive for full transparency. Mistakes can happen. If something does not seem correct, please ask!
- A grade appeal form must always be submitted before a grade change may be considered.
- If you are unhappy with an evaluation by an Attending or Resident, do not contact them directly. A professionalism concern form will be submitted if you do. Rather, discuss the situation with the Clerkship Director.